WORK CONTENT AND DESCRIPTION
Everything about my placement
coaching football was fantastic - the friendliness of the people in Madurai, the
excellent living conditions in the Travellers house and the wonderful support from
the in country supervisors. But most of all what really made it for me were the
school kids I was coaching - all of them such great characters, extremely dedicated
and so grateful for the opportunity to be taught more about football.
The schools we work with are all situated in the bustling city of Madurai in the
southern state of Tamil Nadu. The schools are mainly ‘Matriculation’ which means
that English is taught as the first language. These schools tend to have play areas
for sport which is enjoyed as PE classes throughout the day. However most of the
schools have only basic equipment such as a few deflated footballs, no nets or bibs
and potholed pitches! Some schools even use the car park as a playing ground. Although
materials and resources may be scarce, the enthusiasm of the students and colleagues
more than makes up for any hardships.
The children are a joy to teach as they are incredibly enthusiastic about games.
They turn up for training each day eager to learn new skills, have fun and practice
their English. Coaching sports has immeasurable indirect benefits for the children,
such as health awareness, increased confidence and social skills.
You'll usually coach for 3 to 5 hours at one school only, however there is a possibility
that you may coach in two sessions and at two different venues. You will work in
secondary schools and you will normally help out with all age groups. You will be
in popular demand wherever you are placed and the children will crowd around you
like a celebrity and want your autograph. Keep a pen on you at all times!
The Principal/sports director and/or relevant teachers at the school and colleges
will liaise with you about your coaching assignments and our Organiser will also
assist you where necessary.
Coaching football is only available from June to February as from the beginning
of March the children have to concentrate on studying for exams.
If you would like to coach other sports as well, you also have the opportunity to
coach volleyball, cricket, football, tennis, table tennis and badminton.
FREE COACHING MANUALS:
As a volunteer sports coach with Travellers, you have access to a large number of
coaching manuals for each sport - these manuals have been produced in-house by Travellers
and are very useful and will help you to plan coaching sessions for your students.
Please keep in mind that school holidays can change unexpectedly with very little
notice given. Although at times this can be quite inconvenient, most of our volunteers
use the opportunity to travel around and explore the country.
2019 SCHOOL HOLIDAY DATES
• Pongal Holiday: 13 to 17 January 2019
• Republic Day: 26 January 2019
• Mahavir Jeyanthi: 17 April 2019
• Good Friday: 19 April 2019
• Summer Vacation: 22 April to 5 June 2019 (approx)
• Bakrid: 11-14 August 2019
• Independence Day: 15 August 2019
• Krishna Jayanti: 23 August 2019
• Vinayakar Chathuri: 2 September 2019
• Muharram: 10 September 2019
• First Term Vacation: 23-30 September 2019 (approx)
• Gandhi’s birthday: 2 October 2019
• Pooja: 7-8th October 2019
• Diwali Holiday: 24-29 October 2019
• Thevar Jayanthi: 30 October 2019
• Second Term Vacation: 23 December 2019 to 2 January 2020
• Pongal Holiday: 13 to 17 January 2020
Exam Periods: (approx):
• Annual Exams: 8 to 16 April 2019
• Quarterly Exams: 11 to 22 September 2019
• Half Yearly Exams: 11 to 22 December 2019